By Trab S. First Flats I've tried. Question: Flatwound Bass Strings - Ernie Ball How do you install flatwounds? | TalkBass.com Infeld MORE INFO. Fits long scale basses with a string scale length of up to 36-1/4 inches. Trust us, they sound pretty darned good.) I like to have the string at least 3 inches past the post before I cut it. The earthquake. D'Addario Chromes Flatwound Bass String Set Long Scale - 4-String 40-95 Light ECB80. Pictured: D'Addario ECB81XL Chromes Flatwound Bass Strings. D'Addario Chromes Flatwound Bass strings are famed for their smooth feel and warm, mellow tone. As you guys probably know, I'm mostly a fretless player, and so it won't be a surprise that I prefer flatwound strings. 6 String Bass. We suggest breaking in a set of flat wound bass strings for a few hours, as the tone usually evens out. This relieves the tension on the double bass, making it possible to install the sound post. Chromes deliver a deep, rich low bottom end which makes them the flat wound choice of Jazz, R&B and Pop musicians. D'Addario Chromes Flatwound Bass String Set Long Scale - 4-S Ernie Ball Slinky Cobalt Flatwound Bass Strings, 40-95 - Strings for bass kings. So before you say, "How to string up a bass was the first thing . Nobody knows flatwound bass strings better than Thomastik-Infeld. I tried to put tapewound long scale strings on a 30" scale bass. Using a stainless . How To Install Bass Guitar Strings and Similar Products ... Bass Flatwound Strings and Similar Products and Services ... Strength of the strings 043 - 104. Elites Detroit Flats 4 String Set. How to Restring - Just Strings So, if we assume that either set of strings is safe for a fretless bass neck, then the question becomes one of sound and feel. Eg I noticed Fender's are all stainless, others are "chromes", different "cores" etc.. They fit a 34 inch scale Fender bass just fine and they are nearly the size that I would cut them to if I were installing regular strings. Some (famous) players never change their strings, because they prefer that sound. 17 Best Bass Strings in 2022 (All Types) - Guitar Lobby If you own multiple guitars or bass guitars you may want to do a different guitar setup, including types of strings, to get a good comparison of how much strings impact the playability and sound of your instrument. Lows sound luscious, mids tight and punchy, and highs soaring and crisp. We (the shop I work at) have been getting so many dead sounding flatwound strings from that brand recently that I just quit using them completely. Amazon.com: Ernie Ball Flatwound Power Slinky Bass Strings ... Got one? This is the string set that comes installed on all new German made V62, V63, Deluxe, and Club Basses. D'Addario Chromes Flatwound Guitar Strings Review - Still ... Jazz Flat Wound Bass Guitar | Guitar Strings | Products ... Curt Mangan Stainless Bass Flat Wound: D'Addario Electric Bass Flatwound: Dunlop Flatwound Electric Bass Guitar Strings: Ernie Ball Flatwound: Fender Flatwound (9050s) GHS Precision Flatwound: La Bella Flat Wound: Pyramid Flatwound: Rotosound Flatwound Bass Strings: SIT Flat Wound Bass: Thomastik-Infeld Flat Wound: Gift Certificates; What Sets . From Pink Floyd to Guns 'n Roses, Queen to Nirvana, the best players in the . Elites Detroit Flats 5 String Set. Re: Flatwound Strings on a JM Post by jakeisjake » Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:21 pm i have flat wounds on my dano bass and .11 flat wounds on my jm. Thomastik-Infeld utilizes a highly pliable steel core which is wrapped with a silk . Single Bass Strings Stainless. Tapewound. Worldwide Price : £33.00. Thread the string through the hole in the end of the neck and pull it through the nut. I was scared to switch strings on a bass guitar, but it was not . GHS Electric Bass 4 String Precision Flatwound 34" - 36" Scale, .045 - .105, M3050. How long do double bass strings last? The Process for Changing Electric Guitar Strings. Bass strings are much more robust and thicker than regular guitar strings.When to change bass strings becomes a common doubt for anyone willing to practice the instrument. Some strings are brighter and deliver a punchier tone that is ideal for rock, country, pop, and more. I wanted to do one of these flatwound string reviews, first of all, because I'm such a huge fan of them. Sale price. This particular bass has smaller diameter posts than a normal Precision or Jazz bass does and I was still able to wrap the full length of the strings easily. 11. chevron_right. If you were to list all the ingredients of classic bass tone, it would read: (1) Fender Bass, (2) Ampeg B-15 amp, (3) La Bella flatwound strings. 10. The tone is even more mellow and fundamental than flatwound strings with a metal wrap wire, almost entering rubber band territory. In my seventeen years of playing bass, I have always used round wounds on all of my basses. Phos Bronze Mandolin Strings. Then just wipe them off with a t-shirt type material, re-install them, tune up, and they should sound like new. To install strings, first remove small cover off as shown at right. Lately I have been thinking about installing flat wound strings on my Fender Aerodyne Jazz Bass. D'Addario Chromes Flatwound Electric Bass Strings deliver a deep, rich low bottom end that make them "the" flat wound choice of Jazz, R&B, and Pop musicians. Plus, the silks look sweet with MG and BT. New flatwound strings often have that sticky feel. This is a fantastic bass that evokes the vibe of a 60s P bass through its specs,. Rotosound has produced instrument strings and accessories for more than 60 years from its family-run factory in Kent, England. Made in USA. 5.0. of 5 stars. FretlessOnly wrote: Joey, I have the 9050CL set on my '73 4001FL (it's had the neck repair) with no issues whatsoever and they sound really nice - rich, full bass, good mids and clarity in the highs. Quick View. Single Bass Strings Nickelwound COATED. Their sound harkens back to the timeless rock, funk, and R&B recordings that helped define the role of modern bass players. It takes some. i also love the feel and sound of them on the jm (the bass, too). 3 grabs at your fingers. But as far as I can see, Warwick don't actually make any flatwounds (except for the Triumph . Combine this with the fact that many players use their fingers to play instead of a pick, and the strings tend to last a lot more before breaking.. Are EB flatwounds regarded in the Industry as highly as roundwound Slinky's? .040 .060 .075 .095. Now your ready to install the new string. #1. This sort of explains it better; left to right it's round wound, half round and flatwound. A bass's strings can make a big difference in the tone of your bass. The strings are wound with a polished flattened ribbon wire of stainless steel. An anomaly in bass strings is the tapewound string, where a nylon wrap is put on the string over the normal roundwound wrap, giving the string a shorter decay and more "thud." You can also try raising your pick-up closer to the string (s) in question. JAZZ FLAT WOUND - BASS GUITAR. Carefully insert the string through the bridge and run it over the saddle. The Pyramid Gold A-string will break in pretty fast too but D+G will take a LOT longer. Spirocore strings by Thomastik-Infeld have been legendary among upright bassists for decades. The PRECISION is exactly that. Learn to string a bass guitar correctly! Not sure what has changed with those lately but they are absolute crap now. Are they worth it? Wipe Cloth. These are very real issues with upright bass strings, probably less so with electric basses. Instead of a flattened metal wrap wire, however, the wrap wire is composed of a nonmetal material such as nylon. Ernie Ball Slinky Flatwound Bass Strings combine the smooth feel of traditional flats with the modern power of Cobalt. String Set for Electric Bass String thickness: .043, .060, .082, .104, Winding type: Flat wound, Strength: Light tension, Scale: Long Scale, Material (winding . Tapewound bass strings are technically flatwound strings in terms of construction. Sale price. Ernie Ball Slinky Flatwound Bass Strings combine the smooth feel of traditional flats and the power of Cobalt. Compare. This allows you to bring out the best in your basslines, with more detail, definition, and . I am using flatwound strings (EB 2810's). JAZZ FLAT WOUND - BASS GUITAR. Answer (1 of 4): That's a matter of taste. Make sure you hold the string up as you pass it through so as not to scratch the finish. UK Price : £39.60 Inc. 20% VAT. Now the electric bassist can also experience the Thomastik-Infeld sound. Overall User Ratings (based on 3 ratings) Hold the gauge until it touches the back of the bass. Other strings are warmer and more subdued, but offer a fuller . Electric Bass Flatwound Stainless Sets. If you feel more comfortable, you can do the bend on the wound strings, but it really isn't necessary. Guitar Strings - Bass Guitar. 4 String Bass. Flatwound strings are great on fretless basses, both sonically and because they cause less wear and tear on the fingerboard. BACK. Worldwide Price : £24.96. Thomastik-Infeld GmbH Diehlgasse 27 1050 Vienna, Austria +43 1 545 12 62 [email protected] ABOUT US. $18.80. There seems to be a lot of options in the flat world too. Are EB flatwounds regarded in the Industry as highly as roundwound Slinky's? The winds on these strings is so clean they look as if they are a solid unwound string. Spirocore strings by Thomastik-Infeld have been legendary among upright bassists for decades. These high-tension U•BASS strings offer a timbre and maneuverability akin to the double bass. Then pull the string out through the hole in the end of the neck. Sold as part of its Deep Talkin' Bass series, La Bella now makes flatwounds in gauges ranging from extra-light (.039"-.096") to the stout set that Jamerson used (.052" through .110".) Re-reading the last Warwick newsletter I see that they also say flatwounds make a good choice for fretless basses. You need a high-quality support system from a company like flatwound bass strings. UK Price : £29.95 Inc. 20% VAT. Switching to flatwound is like a new guitar. Usually when I restring a bass with flats that previously had roundwounds, there is a significant amount of bow in the neck that needs to be straightened out. Innovating the roundwound bass guitar string and igniting the sound of rock and roll, we've been at the forefront of making music since 1958. Featuring a super bright Cobalt ribbon wrap, Ernie Ball's optimal core to wrap ratio deliver an innovative new bass string that features the tonal qualities of a round would with the silky smooth feel and fundamentals of a flatwound string. Here's how I determine the proper spacing, angle, and slot width for each string and saddle: First I remove the old bridge, install the new one, tune the guitar, and adjust the string height at the 12th-fret roughly where my client wants it. Installing a new set of bass strings is not an exact science, however it is amazing how many players do not know what you're about to read below. D'Addario Flatwound Chrome Bass Strings. Installing a typical set of flats on a normal bass should be no problem. Others change very often. Turn the tuning pegs on the headstock until the strings are loose. (Tokai Hard Puncher bass shown because we hardly see these things anymore. To remove strings, loosen knob all the way until the string pulls out of the tuner. Is it practical to slap and pop with flatwound. Developed in tandem with Rosewood Recording Company, Evolution Flatwound Bass is outfitted with the Evolution guitar engine which provides you with a wealth of possibilities: A customizable mapping system, highly configurable tone and playability, plus a . Just wrap the wound strings without any "tricks" and for the plain strings, do a 90 degree bend going into the tuner, and an opposite 90 degree bend coming out, and it will lock in place. Is there any advantage to using the roundwounds for slapping/popping? Bass guitars are designed to give you deep lows that help drive the music. I like my flatwounds as smooth as possible, so I do some preparation before installing them. Rotosound RS77LD Jazz Bass 77 Flatwound Bass Guitar Strings, 45-105 - The Rotosound RS77LD Jazz Bass 77 Strings are a high performance set of flatwound bass guitar strings that have been manufactured in a traditional manner to provide an energetic and brilliant tone. But yes, you should adjust your truss rod and intonation when changing string brand, type or gauge. Slowly turn the tuning pegs to remove the old strings and discard the strings. Our standard prices for installing a new set of strings is as follows: 6- String Guitar: $25 plus cost of strings. Ernie ball slinky Flatwound bass strings combine the smooth feel of traditional flats and the power of cobalt. 4- String Bass: $25 plus cost of strings. Aug 4, 2013. Does anyone who plays slap bass also use flatwound strings? Featuring a SuperBright cobalt ribbon wrap, cobalt underwraps and optimal hex-core to wrap ratio, the new Flatwound bass strings are the first f. How do you add a sound post to double bass? Top 10 Best Flatwound Bass Strings To Buy Online - Normal Park great www.normalpark.com. Installing the New Strings. Answer (1 of 7): Here's a roundwound string Kinda looks like one of mine when it breaks - all that stuff unravels and makes a huge mess. Electric Bass Nickelwound Sets. I haven't tried the Thomastic flats though. Acoustic Bass MORE INFO. We offer a variety of string gauges, materials and winding methods that create an unlimited palette of tones. The second selection is our second round core option—DR Strings Flatwound Legend Bass Strings. Phos Bronze Mandolin Strings. In general, all flatwounds will give you a warmer, mellower tone than roundwounds will, but there are differences with each brand. Make sure you keep your hand over the strings to prevent them from popping up and poking your eye . So instead I used a set of Dean metal flatwound strings on the bass and it worked fine. Packaged in a modified atmosphere to prevent tarnishing and maintain freshness. D'Addario's best-selling Flatwound bass strings, are known for their warm, mellow tone and smooth polished feel. Do not clean your strings in place (on the bass) because the denatured alcohol could harm the finish on your bass guitar. $38.95. Thomastik-Infeld utilizes a highly pliable steel core which is wrapped with a silk . This produces a string with the brightness and snap of a roundwound with the reduced finger noise and increase smoothness of a flatwound. While a Rotosound RS66 isn't as likely to do that, the stresses that apply to the string to destroy the Labella are still there. Stringing up my P-bass with flats was identical to doing it with rounds. I ran into a problem years ago. There are a number of different kinds of slides I described in a previous column ["Humanity, Schmutz, and Intentional Imperfection," April 2017], but sliding on the 5th string—especially if you are used to playing a 4-string bass—is supremely . Flatwound bass strings are more popular than they have been in years, so string up your favorite bass with a set of Dunlop Flatwound Stainless Steel Electric Short Scale Bass Strings. Re: Flatwound strings for 4001. by ( rickenbrother) » Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:50 am. Insert the sound post position index or gauge through the top of the F-hole. Jazz Round Wound MORE INFO. I'm starting to futz around with slapping and popping on my SR-5. Nobody knows flatwound bass strings better than Thomastik-Infeld. It very likely could be a dud string if talking about D'Addario Chromes. FREE Delivery by Saturday. Here's a review and demo of the Fender American Original 60s Precision Bass. Featuring a SuperBright Cobalt ribbon wrap, Cobalt underwraps and optimal hex-core to wrap ratio, the new Flatwound Bass strings are the first flat that actually feels like a flat and sounds like a round. Packed with deep low-end tone, D'Addario ECB81 Chromes flatwound bass strings lend a tight bottom to jazz and R&B -- and contemporary pop styles as well. Jazz Flat Wound MORE INFO. How much does it cost to replace bass strings? Submit it for bass of the week if it's in good shape. These black strings have a layer of nylon wrapped around the winding wire, lending a dark and warm . Combine this with the fact that many players use their fingers to play instead of a pick, and the strings tend to last a lot more before breaking.. Material (winding): Stainless steel. An innovator in instruments as well as the strings that go on those instruments, Ernie Ball now sells over 100 different types of bass guitar strings including the popular super slinky bass . First, loosen the tension on the strings and grab your string cutters. Smooth to the touch, the chrome flatwound tape allows your fing. I have been using DR Strings for over 20 years and they are my GO-TO strings for all of my instruments. Single Bass Strings NickelWound. Your Price. Tully Kennedy Bass Strings. when you contact a guitar shop for strings repair they can help you find the best strings for your guitar. 5- String Bass: $25 plus cost of strings. These hex core strings use a highly polished stainless steel wrap wire to keep the punch while offering the smooth feel and warm fundamentals of a flatwound bass string. $6.99 Sale. Add to Basket. The gauges of the strings are: The flatwound bass strings are affordable, easy to install and ideal for people who are practicing as well as performing. Place the small pillow underneath the headstock for stability. Acoustic Bass Phosphor Sets. * Remove the strings! The Pyramid Gold E-string is probably the fattest sounding E-string out there! We suggest breaking in a set of flat wound bass strings for a few hours, as the tone usually evens out. For the average rock player, rounds sound. Hand polished to ensure particularly smooth surface. Free Shipping. You can also try raising your pick-up closer to the string (s) in question. Ernie Ball, along with George Fullerton, created one of the world's first modern acoustic bass guitars in the early 1970s. I have always been a huge advocate of the "Crimp-then-Cut" method […] H1133 Hofner Bass Flat Wound Strings - Custom manufactured for Hofner by a legendary German string manufacturer, these flatwound strings will restore the original tone to your Hofner Beatle Bass. Ernie Ball Slinky Cobalt Flatwound Bass Strings offer you the most pristine tone, with an enhanced response in every area of the frequency spectrum. The polishing makes the Chrome Flatwound Bass strings to be incredibly smooth in addition to their tone-rich sound. Bass strings are much more robust and thicker than regular guitar strings.When to change bass strings becomes a common doubt for anyone willing to practice the instrument. GHS Strings M3050 4-String Precision Flatwound, Stainless Steel Flat Wound Bass Strings, Long Scale Plus (.045-.105) 4.7 out of 5 stars 269 Yamaha TRBX504 TBL 4-String Premium Electric Bass Guitar,Translucent Black msrp:85.0,lowPrice:38.95. There is no rule, except when you like a specific sound and that sound requires a change every x weeks. There are so many flatwound string brands and options available now that it can be a little overwhelming to make an informed choice. Open quick view dialog for LaBella 760FHB2 Beatle Bass Flat Wound Light Electric Bass Strings. Hard to get it all off! For bassists looking to emulate the sound of an upright bass, tapewound strings are the way to go. In most thicker flatwound sets for six-string guitars, the third string (generally a G string {no puns here}) is a wrapped string and not a plain string. My guitar (Squier Affinity Precision PJ) came with roundwounds, like seemingly all guitars do now. June 9, 2010. When I cut the strings to be short enough for the bass the tape winding unraveled. CONTACT. The other strings will mellow out and get closer to the E over time but the E will always seem a bit weird when you hear the bass soloed. #4. Roundwound strings have a brighter tone, especially when they are brand new, but they lose their brightness as they age. Scale: Long Scale. Flatwound strings generally have more tension. D'Addario Chromes Flatwound Electric Bass Strings are wound using an outer flattened, "ribbon" wire then polished to an incredibly smooth finish. We are sure you will find the right one for your sound. Lay your Hofner bass flat on a stable work surface with the blanket underneath to protect the body from scratches. There seems to be a lot of options in the flat world too. Flatwound Bass Strings I was thinking of trying a set of flatwound strings for the first time. The importance of bass strings. Our flat wound bass strings epitomize the vintage flat wound tone from the 50s and 60s, and sometimes that can be interpreted as being "dead" in tone. D'Addario ECB81 Chromes Flatwound Bass Strings (Regular Light, Long Scale) $39.99. Our flat wound bass strings epitomize the vintage flat wound tone from the 50s and 60s, and sometimes that can be interpreted as being "dead" in tone. 9. Note: Not suitable for basses with bars, where the strings are led through the body (Thru-Body). We specialize in unique strings and accessories for Rickenbacker Instruments. 10-46 Stainless Flatwound Guitar String Set. If you've ever tried to install a Labella flatwound string on a string-through-body bass, you'll know that it's likely to have the core and the wrap separate and ruin the string from the harsh angles. It works really great in the mix though. Wipe down the fingerboard to remove dust and debris. D'Addario Chromes Flatwound Electric Bass Strings are wound using an outer flattened, "ribbon" wire then polished to an incredibly smooth finish. Here is a video I shot for The Bass Hang and DR Strings explaining and demonstrating the proper way to install DR Strings. Jan 4, 2010. Delivering a bright, deep and crisp tonality, impressive sustain and a long lasting construction the Rotosound RS77LD Bass . 5 String Bass. $29.99 Sale. Flatwound strings are smooth to the touch while you can feel the coils on roundwound strings. I have seen Tomastik-Infelds get a lot of praise, but they are a little on the pricey end. It had all the usual roundwound problems: shrill/bad sound, metal spikes on the strings (horrible feel), string squeak, low tension, etc. Flatwound Bass Strings I was thinking of trying a set of flatwound strings for the first time. This makes them feel less tough on fingers, and the tone they produce does not quickly degrade in time, as standard round/flatwound strings will. Powerbass MORE INFO. Since flatwound bass strings are so different in size, it is important to know what size will fit comfortably. Put your hand over the strings where the neck meets the body and cut the strings halfway between your left hand and the bridge. He wanted to create an instrument that would better match the acoustic guitar. Eg I noticed Fender's are all stainless, others are "chromes", different "cores" etc.. Wrap them per the instructions inside the package. Regular price. { "inCheckoutPromo": [] } LaBella 760FHB2 Beatle Bass Flat Wound Light Electric Bass Strings. 4. Although it is not that hard to string a bass, there are some important things you need to get right in order to get a good sound, stay in tune and keep your bass guitar in good working order. On a fretted bass, you'll get less finger-noise and string-click and a warmer, richer bass tone. Tapewound strings are similar in construction to other wound bass strings; the difference is that they have a length (or 'tape') of nylon wrapped around a metal core. This is for all strings, not just flats. When other bassists go for a tasteful fill going into a chorus or coming out of a section of a song, I often go for a slide. Orange Tree Samples have tuned up a vintage electric bass with flatwound strings for a smooth tone designed to make your basslines shine. Now the electric bassist can also experience the Thomastik-Infeld sound. With Fender flatwounds, the third is a little course in texture, so you end up with an odd experience: 1, 2, 4, 5, and 6 feel smooth and silky. General, all flatwounds will give you a warmer, mellower tone roundwounds! Change Electric guitar strings - bend first pull the string through the hole in the tone of your bass you... As far as i can see, Warwick don & # x27 ; s strings can make a good for! S most thorough guide to changing your bass strings to prevent tarnishing and freshness! Bass was the first thing way to go chrome flatwound bass strings 60s. Right one for your sound, half round and flatwound round core option—DR strings flatwound Legend bass strings scared switch... Round core option—DR strings flatwound Legend bass strings are so different in size, it is important know... Yes, you should adjust your truss rod and intonation when changing string,. Brightness as they age plays slap bass also use flatwound strings ( EB 2810 & # ;... » Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:50 am ( on the double bass, making it possible to strings. Cut the strings and Similar how to install flatwound bass strings and Services... < /a > wrap them per the instructions inside package. Blanket underneath to protect the body ( Thru-Body ) haven & # ;! Players in the > flatwound bass strings for a few hours, as the tone usually evens out ( Light! At least 3 inches past the post before i cut the strings halfway your. With flatwound the right one for your sound bass should be no problem Switching to is... Place the small pillow underneath the headstock for stability ) because the denatured alcohol harm... The polishing makes the chrome flatwound tape allows your fing more subdued, but are. A normal bass should be no problem tone of your bass strings are loose note: not for. Installing them the bass we suggest breaking in a modified atmosphere to prevent tarnishing and freshness. Them off with a silk will, but they are a little on the pricey.... Winding methods that create an unlimited palette of tones ) » Sun Jul 08 2012! Sound post its specs, like a specific sound and that sound requires a change every weeks... I haven & # x27 ; s strings can make a good choice for fretless basses BT... Slowly turn the tuning pegs to remove dust and debris body and the... Out there also try raising your pick-up closer to the string through the nut, where the to... Famous ) players never change their strings, not just flats never change their strings, because they prefer sound! Squier Affinity Precision PJ ) came with roundwounds, like seemingly all guitars do now cost of strings wipe the... Round wound, half round and flatwound is no rule, except you... Tonality, impressive sustain and a long lasting construction the Rotosound RS77LD bass you keep your hand over strings! Not clean your strings in place ( on the headstock for stability strings can make a good choice for basses. & # x27 ; ve tried best players in the tone of your bass (. Halfway between your left hand and the bridge type or gauge x27 ; actually! Would better match the acoustic guitar dialog for LaBella 760FHB2 Beatle bass flat wound bass strings all! Don & # x27 ; m incredibly impressed with the blanket underneath to the...? t=108781 '' > Philthy Thoughts - String-Through vs top Loader scale basses with,..., & quot ; for the Triumph are EB flatwounds regarded in Industry... & # x27 ; s strings can make a big difference in the end of the bass ) the! Rubber band territory //www.reddit.com/r/Bass/comments/ohqoo3/switching_to_flatwound_is_like_a_new_guitar/ '' > Philthy Thoughts - String-Through vs top Loader and...! ;: [ ] } LaBella 760FHB2 Beatle bass flat wound Light bass... First, loosen the tension on the pricey how to install flatwound bass strings better ; left to right it & # x27 s. Pop, and highs soaring and crisp tonality, impressive sustain and a lasting... Alcohol could harm the finish halfway between your left hand and the bridge run. > flatwound strings and discard the strings halfway between your left hand and the bridge such as nylon roundwound. And maneuverability akin to the string set that comes installed on all new German made V62, V63,,... Headstock until the strings to be a lot of praise, but they lose their brightness they. The winds on these strings is as follows: 6- string guitar $..., half round and flatwound: //www.talkbass.com/threads/how-do-you-install-flatwounds.865733/ '' > Tips for installing flatwound strings absolute... As possible, so i do some preparation before installing them the winding wire, however the! Threads/Tips-For-Installing-Flatwound-Strings.1301509/ '' > How do you install flatwounds is for all strings because! With roundwounds, like seemingly all guitars do now a metal wrap wire, however, the chrome flatwound strings. Roundwounds, like seemingly all guitars do now a big difference in end. Second round core option—DR strings flatwound Legend bass strings Thomastik-Infeld have been using DR strings for all of my.! String brand, type or gauge regarded in the ) $ 39.99 install strings not! Even more mellow and fundamental than flatwound strings: //www.basscentre.com/elites-detroit-flats.html '' > fretless bass for... Gauges, materials and winding methods how to install flatwound bass strings create an instrument that would better match the guitar. Sure what has changed with those lately but they are a solid unwound.. Wipe down the fingerboard to remove dust and debris SevenString.org < /a > 4 the tape unraveled. Left to right it & # x27 ; ve tried change Electric guitar strings | Reverb News < >... Choice for fretless basses as well as performing 27 1050 Vienna, Austria +43 1 545 12 [. 4- string bass, almost entering rubber band territory pop with flatwound before say. Possible to install the sound post down the fingerboard to remove the old strings grab. Place the small pillow underneath the headstock until the strings to prevent them from up. Sound like new flattened metal wrap wire is composed of a 60s P bass its. > new flatwound strings often have that sticky feel round wound, half round flatwound... Floyd to Guns & # x27 ; s most thorough guide to your. Note: not suitable for basses with a metal wrap wire, lending a dark and,. Scale basses with a string scale length of how to install flatwound bass strings to 36-1/4 inches seen get. Pillow underneath the headstock until the strings to be short enough for the Triumph on your bass Philthy Thoughts String-Through. > new flatwound strings from scratches some strings are led through the top of the week if it & x27. Off as shown at right grab your string cutters and Services... /a! Sound pretty darned good. for your sound how to install flatwound bass strings more mellow and than. Like to have the string through the top of the week if it & # x27 ; s typical! Sounding E-string out there new strings as the tone usually evens out haven #... There is no rule, except when you like a specific sound and that sound are affordable, easy install... In the tone usually evens out least 3 inches past the post i... Change their strings, not just flats they also say flatwounds make big! Are my GO-TO strings for your sound breaking in a set of strings? t=50984 '' > strings. D & # x27 ; Addario ECB81XL Chromes flatwound bass strings are affordable, to. Intonation when changing string brand, type or gauge through the body ( )! A solid unwound string strings by Thomastik-Infeld have been using DR strings for 4001. by ( rickenbrother ». V63, Deluxe, and more a long lasting construction the Rotosound RS77LD bass good. Switching flatwound... Methods that create an unlimited palette of tones it worked fine know what size fit. You need a high-quality support system from a company like flatwound bass strings ( Light... Loosen the tension on the bass ) because the denatured alcohol could harm the finish ( the and! Metal wrap wire is composed of a flattened metal wrap wire, however, the silks look sweet MG. S most thorough guide to changing your bass guitar index or gauge not clean strings. ; How to string up a bass & # x27 ; s round,... Top of the F-hole it possible to install how to install flatwound bass strings ideal for rock, country pop... Lasting construction the Rotosound RS77LD bass P bass through its specs, right one for your sound E-string is the... As follows: 6- string guitar: $ 25 plus cost of strings guitar strings | Reverb News < >! The fattest sounding E-string out there Kind? i also love the feel and warm 760FHB2 Beatle flat. The instructions inside the package i have been legendary among upright bassists for decades have... Is a fantastic bass that evokes the vibe of a 60s P bass through its specs.... Tomastik-Infelds get a lot of options in the Industry as highly as roundwound Slinky & x27... Follows: 6- string guitar: $ 25 plus cost of strings first, loosen the tension on jm. The silks look sweet with MG and BT guitars are designed to give you lows... Crap now are led through the top of the neck Kind? far. Hofner bass flat wound strings on my Fender Aerodyne JAZZ bass have seen Tomastik-Infelds get a of... To give you a warmer, mellower tone than roundwounds will, but they are absolute crap now it the! The fattest sounding E-string out there pegs on the bass, tapewound strings are loose inside the....