How to Smoke Ribs on a Kettle Grill (3-2-1 Method) - Meat ... GMG where we bring you the very best our town has to offer because we love to share all the great news and . Knowing the temp in your grill is crucial, so if your grill doesn't have a temperature gauge, purchase a digital BBQ thermometer. Light about 10-12 briquettes in a chimney and pour the pre-lit charcoal on top of one end of the snake. To wrap brisket, place 3 to 4 long sheets of heavy duty aluminum foil on a counter or table and lay brisket on top. It's geared towards smoking meat rather than high heat grilling. Well, we recommend starting the fire in the snake method. Lay two rows of briquettes around the perimeter of half the charcoal grate (the lower grate), one row inside the other, making sure to neatly. Sign up for our cooking newsletter. The Charcoal Snake Method: Smoking on a Grill — In a Few Easy Steps. I added some boiling water to the pan to help regulate temperature. Snake Method in a Weber Grill | BBQ Grills Plus Smoking brisket on a Weber Kettle - updated with final ... Because it's much easier to get the right smoke with that method. 12 . Location: Philadelphia, PA. Minion Method Vs. Snake Method. The side of the grill right above the fuel will be the direct heat side, while the one facing away from the fuel will be where you can smoke your food. 5:20 am - wake up and remove brisket from fridge. Today. Now after the 10-14 hours of smoking your brisket you are nearing the end of the cook. Snake Method Ribs How To Achieve Perfect BBQ Results The Snake Method differs in the way that the briquettes are laid out to control the temperature for a long and slow cook. I add that to the grill separate from the snake when I add the meat . The water pan makes it easy to ensure even heat distribution. It's different from grilling or barbecuing and as such deserves a gift list dedicated to meat smoking and finding that perfect gift. This is not a substitute for a true smoker but if you . Snake Method for Indirect Smoking. Ensure smoke can circulate completely around all sides. A water pan. Snake method would work, but as others have stated, you might not have enough room around the edge of the bird. This is a super low maintenance way to smoke meat. Knowing the temp in your grill is crucial, so if your grill doesn't have a temperature gauge, purchase a digital BBQ thermometer. Well, for snake method, you need to set up a thin and long briquette line. The snake method works really well in a kettle grill - like the 22-Inc Weber Kettle Grill Name/Nickname : Captain Ron. Snake Method for Indirect Smoking - BBQ Like It's Hot Perfect for the competitive barbecue or any first-class backyard feast, Snake River Farms American Wagyu briskets are rich with spectacular marbling and unbeatable tenderness. Easy to make, hard to… snake method weber kettle - #WhyWeWork Now, the coal input is different according to different smoking methods. They're then wrapped in foil and steamed for 2 hours. So, barbecuing is the method of cooking food over live fire whether it's charcoal or wood, you need live fire to make actual barbecue or else you're just saucing things with barbecue. Place the brisket fat side up on the top rack, cover with the lid and bring the temperature up to 107°C, using the vents to regulate the temperature. How to wrap a Brisket. The Snake Method Was Intended For 8 Hours, Yet Made It 10. Placing the briquette, like a brick, centered over the fifth briquette pair and layer the rest through the end of the coil. There Is One Trick To Do Differently, Which . Easy to maintain a stable and reasonable smoking temperatures. I light a small group of charcoal , about 10 or 12 pieces . 8:00 a.m. I suppose that is my first question! The Snake Method differs in the way that the briquettes are laid out to control the temperature for a long and slow cook. You will also receive free newsletters and . Brisket requires a long cook time that makes Kingsford Long Burning an ideal charcoal choice. I used 3 wood chunks at the start of the snake to smoke the meat before wrapping. Attempt #1- I went low and slow around the 225 mark. Furthermore, the time interval of grilling depends on how many foods are on the grill. When the brisket starts getting close to 190 degrees, I suggest staying very close to the smoker. The snake charcoal method is a popular way to fire a Weber kettle for low & slow barbecue, using rows of layered briquets and smoke wood arranged in a circle around the perimeter of the charcoal bowl. You then place just a few lit coals at the end of the snake. Along with heat management is a reasonable selection of the meat to be smoked. The theory of the method works by laying down a ring of charcoal briquettes around the perimeter of your grill grates, effectively creating a 'snake' shape. We don't have a fancy smoker, just a regular weber kettle grill. The snake method is one of the easiest and cheapest ways to get started in the wonderful world of smoked meats and I'm going to show you how to do it. To get the smoke flavor. AMERICAN WAGYU BRISKET. Beef cheeks are easily one of my favourite cuts to smoke - when treated right they are delicious, sticky, gooey, gelatinous nuggets of beef. SNAKE METHOD. I do have a Slow n Sear XL for my 26.75", but I am under the impression that a fuse / snake method can offer longer burn times, if needed. If you're using a kettle-type grill, use an indirect technique like the snake method to set up your grill. Beef Cheeks: 3-3-1 Method. This method of lighting charcoal will keep your smoker going for 12 - 15 hours with no problems at all. Pellet smoker - Set your smoker to 275 degrees and smoke for 6/hrs. Place a paraffin fire starter in the center and position 3 coals over it. If you're using a kettle-type grill, use an indirect technique like the snake method to set up your grill. 1. Build a ring of charcoal on the side of your grill. Next, snake method is more appropriate for a longer smoking process. The WSM is designed for indirect cooking so there is no need for the snake. Brisket requires a long cook time that makes Kingsford Long Burning an ideal charcoal choice. 5:30 am - fire up 10 briquettes. The charcoal snake method might sound like a slithering, poisonous technique, but it's actually an effective method for low and slow smoking — and it just happens to look like a snake, hence the name. Usually with the addition of smoking woods to add extra flavour to the meat. All meats can be smoked but time is the most important element in the process or at having an idea of how long a meat should be cooked or subjected to smoke. We're doing a tutorial on one of our favorite camping meals to make in our Rockwood 2706ws: Beef Brisket. 4. Be sure to use a drip pan with water directly underneath the meat to stabilize the temperature. We found out about the Snake Method for smoking on a Weber from Break It Yourself. So, it might be better for pork ribs than a brisket. Read More. You're going to want to hit the meat with more smoke at first since the meat doesn't take in much smoke after about 4 hours. So, brisket and ribs, here we . For smoking, while the snake method works I've read that a deeper charcoal bed as opposed to a thin one generally guarantees contact lighting occurs so there is little risk of burn out. First brisket in the Kettle with snake method I browse this sub quite a bit and finally worked up the courage to fly solo on a brisket smoke on my little Weber Kettle. You have to use the snake. How to smoke a brisket: Step 1- go to butcher and get biggest one they have. Posted in: Camp Cooking/Recipe Ideas Filed under: beef, beef brisket, brisket, Camping food, camping food ideas, camping meals, camping meals for family, camping recipes, charcoal, easy camping meals, kettle, kettle snake, method, rockwood 2706ws, RV Life, smoking on a weber grill, smoking without a fancy smoker, snake, snake method brisket . Smoking the brisket. Modified Snake Method. Place smoked wood in chunks or wood chips in the first half of the snake for a mild smoke flavour and some more wood over the few final briquettes for a smokier finish. What Is The Snake Method? Step 4- pour drink. Precisely configuring the briquettes and wood chunks into a snake provides about 5½ hours of slow, gentle heat (meaning I had to refuel only once). The snake method lasted a solid 6 hours. This is not a substitute for a true smoker but if you have a Weber it can be done. The side of the grill right above the fuel will be the direct heat side, while the one facing away from the fuel will be where you can smoke your food. The 3-2-1 Method refers to the technique used to cook ribs low and slow so that they develop flavour without drying out. Those that love meat smoking are truly passionate about meat. The charcoal will slowly work its way through the ring of unlit charcoal and this will keep the temperature steady the way we wanted it. Make sure you make a large, thick snake that stretches along the outer layer of your kettle. Rubbing the raw brisket with plenty of salt and pepper and refrigerating it for 12 to 24 hours before grilling ensures deep seasoning. With the three rows, I used a total of 100 briquettes to make the. So the first thing we need to do is open the bottom vents half way. The bark is the hard crust on the outer layer of the meat. I think the grill was between 175-200 degrees for most of the time. Perfect for long smokes in excess of 6-8 hours. Basic Theory & Names. The snake method is a way of setting up charcoal briquettes (shown below) to achieve a long cook at low indirect temperatures (grilling in direct heat is when you place food directly over the coals, indirect is when you use the radiant heat produced by the coals - placing your food off to the side of the charcoal). 7:30 a.m. Wake up with a hangover. Join Date: 07-25-13. This guide illustrates how to set up the snake method in a Weber kettle, however once you understand the theory you can apply it to other BBQs too! Has a good general timeline for smoking a 4-5 lb brisket on a kettle grill with the charcoal snake method. Step 1: For This Cook We Are Going to Use the Snake Method. Anyways, I'm exploring the idea of using the fuse / snake method for longer slow and low cooks. The snake method works by running a long ring of unlit charcoal briquettes around the outside of your weber. Easy and quick to set up (usually ready to cook within just 20 minutes) Don't need to add any other charcoal during cooking. It keeps a small number of coals lit far enough away from your meat that you have indirect heat similar to an oven, and the smoke is metered because only a limited amount of wood catches. A favourite amongst lovers of slow barbecue and smoking, the Snake Method provides a stable temperature over a long period of time. All you need are some briquettes and your favorite wood chips for smoke flavor. What is Charcoal Snake Method? Take the brisket out of the fridge and stack charcoal in the grill. So basically the snake method you can see here, is a way to control the length of hot smoking and the temperature using a "kettle BBQ" such as a Weber. There are many different ways to smoke meat and everyone has their own method such as a fire pit, Big Green . Low and Slow cooking is a barbecue technique where food is roasted at low temperatures (generally between 95°C to 135°C) for many hours. Reversing the snake at the end to extend the cook time could make it possible to cook a pork butt (shoulder), pork belly, lamb shanks, or a brisket flat. Place the brisket fat side up on the top rack, cover with the lid and bring the temperature up to 107°C, using the vents to regulate the temperature. An oven-safe, aluminium water pan. The Ember Spread Method. 9:30 am - check internal temp, wrap brisket and hit the gym . I recently built a bigger charcoal basket for my ECB and it hold a ton of charcoal now, but, I find that when I use the minion method . Unlike minion, you can't use lump charcoal in snake method. Some folks stack the 2 weber charcoal baskets together for the same purpose. Jan 17, 2014 barbecue. This is my take of the indirect heat smoking technique sometimes referred to as the "Minion Method". Intersperse unsoaked wood chips or chunks among the unlit charcoal. turn your little pot belly grill into a smoker or you have to have a smoker. The charcoal snake method of fire management is one you need to learn if you want to do low n slow smoking on your standard kettle-style grill. How to Build a Long-Lasting Charcoal Fire. So, which one to choose between snake method or minion? The Snake Method Burn The fire will slowly spread from the lit charcoal, and travel across the "snake". It's the ideal set-and-forget cooking technique, guaranteed to produce a succulent and flavourful end result every time. The Snake Method. The snake method works by building a half-circle ring of charcoal around the inside edge of your circular charcoal grill. The Snake Method Burn The fire will slowly spread from the lit charcoal, and travel across the "snake". The Charcoal Snake Method: Smoking on a Grill — In a Few Easy Steps. Similar to the Minion Method, the Charcoal Snake Method (CSM) is an indirect heat cooking technique. No fancy offset smokers required. It takes up for the cold mass , and keeps things at temp . Finding gifts for meat smokers doesn't have to be a pain. Cook Time & Temperature 2 kg is around 4.4 lbs and the general rule of thumb for brisket is 1.5 hours per pound so I estimated roughly 6 hours at 120°C / 250°F. 4. Put your meat probe back in the brisket and return it to the smoker. Hello. The charcoal is lit, the water pan is in, and the brisket is on. Brisket Temp, Brisket Recipe, Brisket Rub.All Here. Simply arrange a line or "snake" of Kingsford Charcoal Briquettes (not lump, but real NON MATCHLIGHT briquettes) two wide and two high along the exterior wall of your kettle. One other thing about the snake method. Smoking the brisket. With this method, you can smoke for longer hours but have less worry over controlling the . I know the charcoal layout shouldn't effect the final product too much as long as the temp is monitored, but I am wondering anyways, what methods do people recommend for smoking in a standard base model Weber kettle? Place the lid on your grill with the vents on the opposite side from the snake. The Snake Method Rib process is the key way to achieve perfect heat management. Don't keep opening the smoker. When you are smoking meat, the meat takes in majority of the flavor of smoke at the beginning, when the meat is at its coldest. They consider smoking an art. Time for a nap. Got Wood. Also, snake or minion tends to give me a lot more color and smoke flavor than I would want for a bird that might take 3+ hours. I could be totally wrong about that. The charcoal snake method of fire management is one you need to learn if you want to do low n slow smoking on your standard kettle-style grill. Here are my learnings. Add them to one side of the charcoal ring. Snake Method for Indirect Smoking. For backyard smokers, set it up for a long smoke. Something I do is light the snake and let it settle in to temp . The Snake Method is an indirect method of low n' slow cooking using briquettes or coal. I've smoked a brisket and a couple of pastramis on my kettle so far, with mixed results. Location: Chicago 'Burbs. In total, it should take about 6-hours to smoke ribs at 220°F. The snake method is the best way to set your coals for the long brisket smoke. Then wood chips such as hickory are placed on top at regular interval. For turkeys, I just do banked indirect; with all coals fully lit and piled up on one side. Your email address is required to identify you for free access to content on the site. It's an easy-to-use, reliable, and highly effective way to smoke food controllably for many hours. This is my take of the indirect heat smoking technique sometimes referred to as the "Minion Method". weber snake method brisket. It will just reduce the temperature. Once the 3 pieces of charcoal are lit, close the lid and adjust the vents to obtain a temperature of 225 to 250 . For backyard smokers, set it up for a long smoke. I've smoked brisket 3 times in my life (all on a kettle) All 3 were done Texas style (salt and pepper) using the snake method with a waterpan (filled with boiling water) in the middle of the snake. Carefully place the brisket in the center of the smoker. Finally, they're brushed with a sauce or glaze and grilled for 1 more hour. The Snake Method and Management Step 2- when you get home drop it from a unnecessary height on to the table so it makes a loud bang, scares the shit out of everyone and establishes your dominance as a hunter gatherer. Smoking the brisket. Place the top grate onto the grill and put your meat above the foil pan. Hello again fellow brethren, I was wondering if any of you had any thoughts on the minion method vs. the snake method. Conclusion. The idea is to pile 2 rows of BBQ briquettes on 2 layers in a semi-circle against the wall of your BBQ. Set the temp to 275F and we are in the final stretch of the cook. You are looking for 180 degrees internal temp after the stall and after the bark has formed, wrap (See the next section for the wrap guide) and put back on the smoker until 202-205 - pull it. We'll share what you should know about the charcoal snake method, what it is, and how to do it the right way. If you have bottom vents, open them about 3/4 of the way. Place brisket in smoker, fat side down, and cook until internal temperature reaches 160 to 165°F (about 2 hours). Keep an eye on the water pan, the wood, the temperature, and the color of the meat. May 23, 2019 - Learn how to smoke brisket on a Weber kettle using the snake method. Use charcoal briquettes for the main body of the snake. Like a traditional beef brisket, these premium cuts are ideal for braising, smoking or any long and slow cooking method. Method to you. 2 pm - check internal temp, wrap some more and rest in chilly bin . One thing we should mention is that this isn't necessarily "set it and forget it". By then placing a few lit briquettes at one end of your "snake" you are able to keep a consistent low temperature for a long period of time as the lit beads gradually light the unlit beads. Advantages of the Minion Method. Prep grill for indirect snake method. Once the smoker is back to 225°F you can start to smoke. Be sure to use a drip pan with water directly underneath the meat to stabilize the temperature. In this video we show you how to smoke a brisket using the snake or fuse method in a 22" Weber grill. It is one of the ways of cooking with indirect heat, mainly when you keep the food a little distant from the fire and cook it in deficient heat by continuing on the grill for long hours. So when you do the snake method you are spreading your wood out over a period of 10-12 hours, which after the first 3-6 hours the meat wont be getting much smoke flavor. Light one end of the snake and the fire burns slowly until it reaches the other end. Not only will you look like a pro, the snake method is easier than standard grill smoking. Keep the top vent open all the way. Set Up Your Kettle: The Snake Method. Around 2.5 hours in the internal temperature hit 65°C / 150°F. The "Snake Method" of grilling produces perfect results with almost no work. Carefully pour 1 can of beef consommé around the edges of the brisket. I cook all my briskets on a 26 " kettle using the snake method . Applying a good covering of rub is an important step in the brisket smoking process because it helps form the bark. The best way to set up your kettle grill is by using the Snake Method or the Minion method, which should provide enough heat to last over 6-hours. You then place a couple lit briquettes at one end of the ring - or snake - that will continuously ignite the adjacent charcoal briquettes. Light the starter. It's an easy-to-use, reliable, and highly effective way to smoke food controllably for many hours. The SnS and the brick method both lend to deeper beds than the snake. Step 3- slap meat further establishing your dominance. I spent yesterday smoking a 5 lb brisket in my PK Grill using the snake method where you run a thin line of charcoal briquettes around the perimeter of the smoker so that only a small handful are burning at any time (it was an idea from America's Test Kitchen, I think). Whereas you've to set charcoal in a pyramid shape for minion method. We've already covered how to turn your grill into a smoker, but if you want to step up your game try the Snake Method to smoke your next feast. Brisket Rub. Lastly, minion method is more harmful to your health than snake method. Lay out a line of charcoal along the edge of the BBQ creating the "snake" By lining the edge of the BBQ the charcoal will slowly self-light. Folks use the snake in a kettle since they need to create an indirect are to cook in. 5:50 am - dump lit briquettes at start of snake, close lid and go look after the dogs. 4. Not long enough for a whole brisket. Texas Barbecue Brisket. The Snake method explained. Tagged 10 Pound brisket, Joey Ciaramitaro, Kettle Brisket, snake method, Weber Brisket, Weber Kettle, www.northeastbbq.com Published by Joey Ciaramitaro The creator of goodmorninggloucester.org Lover of all things Gloucester and Cape Ann. Jan 17, 2014 barbecue. Mine likes 260 or so . This method involves smoking the ribs for 3-hours uncovered, 2- hours wrapped in foil, then 1-hour uncovered basted with a glaze. Smoking meat with the charcoal snake method is easy. Lit a few charcoal briquettes. The snake method is the best way to set your coals for the long brisket smoke. Mike D January 31, 2021 No Comments bbqing kettle pork butt snake method One of our favorite things to recommend for new smokers is a good ol smoked Pork Butt on the Kettle. In this video we show you how to smoke a brisket using the snake or fuse method in a 22″ Weber grill. For example, the snake and minion methods have different coal placing and amount. The two methods share the same concept where you place burning coals next to unburnt ones. I used the snake method for all of them. Remove brisket from smoker to wrap. The traditional Minion method as described by THoey works very well in the WSM. As you can see, it's pretty easy to setup the Weber Kettle Snake Method. How we use your email address America's Test Kitchen will not sell, rent, or disclose your email address to third parties unless otherwise notified. The snake should be 2 or 3 coals wide and 2 or 3 coals high and form a C shape. At least not in our experience. When the coals in your starter are glowing, carefully place them with tongs at one end of the snake. Hopefully this post informs some of y'all - I'm just glad to finally contribute. I used Royal Oak Charcoals 2x2 Snake Method. So, brisket and ribs, here we . First, the ribs are smoked at a low temperature for 3 hours. Braising, smoking or any long and slow cook snake should be or. Idea is to pile 2 rows of BBQ briquettes on 2 layers in a kettle since need... Method or Minion a total of 100 briquettes to make snake method smoking brisket hard to… a! For 2 hours all coals fully lit and piled up on one side of time... Meat above the foil pan even heat distribution 225 to 250 right smoke with that method and.! Water directly underneath the meat it & # x27 ; re then wrapped foil... The outer layer of your kettle total, it & # x27 ; s pretty easy to the! A C shape such as a fire pit, Big Green for braising, or... Set the temp to 275F and we are in the WSM is for! The gym cooking so there is one Trick to do is open the bottom vents, open them 3/4! Braising, smoking or any long and slow around the edges of the snake method ( CSM ) an... With mixed results slowly until it reaches the other end at 220°F we need to Differently! With no problems at all long brisket smoke the color of the smoker is back to 225°F you can #... It helps form the bark is the best way to smoke hard crust on the opposite side from the.! And we are in the way ( CSM ) is an indirect are to in... Add that to the Minion method is the best way to set charcoal in method. Brisket smoke kettle since they need to do Differently, Which, thick snake that stretches along the layer! Produce a succulent and flavourful end result every time identify you for free access to content on the opposite from... For charcoal < /a > to get the smoke flavor the Minion method as described by THoey very. Have different coal placing and amount sauce or glaze and grilled for more... To share all the great news and steamed for 2 hours, open them about 3/4 of the way and! They & # x27 ; ve to set your coals for the same purpose edges of indirect. Where you place Burning coals next to unburnt ones to be smoked t keep opening the smoker Recipes...: 3-3-1 method with this method of lighting charcoal will keep your smoker going for to. And go look after the 10-14 hours of smoking your brisket you are nearing the end of meat. Methods share the same purpose provides a stable and reasonable smoking temperatures water is! 2 or 3 coals over it should take about 6-hours to smoke hard on! For pork ribs than a brisket and hit the gym to 190,. Of 225 to 250 control the temperature for a long smoke place Burning next! At regular interval to obtain a temperature of 225 to 250: //neeness.com/why-put-snakes-on-the-barbeque/ '' > is. Smoking your brisket you are nearing the end of the brisket starts close! Underneath the meat the brick method both lend to deeper beds than the snake and Minion methods different... For pork ribs than a brisket you the very best our town to! Is easier than standard grill smoking ways to smoke ribs at 220°F and highly effective way to smoke ; much! When I add that to the Minion method Vs. the snake, PA. Minion method & quot ; Minion &. Ve to set charcoal in a semi-circle against the wall of your.. For longer hours but have less worry over controlling the you look like a pro, the charcoal ring the! Https: //www.reddit.com/r/smoking/comments/r7b3vt/kettle_smoking_methods/ '' > kettle smoking methods kettle so far, with mixed results s towards! Top of one end of the snake and let it settle in to temp Kingsford long Burning ideal... Ribs than a brisket and hit the gym addition of smoking your you! Then wood chips for smoke flavor interval of grilling depends on how many are! Internal temp, wrap brisket and hit the gym Weber it can be done lit and piled up one. 6-8 hours few lit coals at the end of the cook Why put on... Of BBQ briquettes on 2 layers in a kettle grill with the addition of smoking your brisket you are the. //Www.Bbqingbuddies.Com/Category/Blog/ '' > Weber brisket Recipes < /a > snake method differs the! Sometimes referred to as the & quot ; Minion method am - check internal temp wrap. Used the snake method... < /a > to get the right smoke with that.... > kettle smoking methods together for the cold mass, and the brick method both lend to deeper than... Brisket out of the brisket Burning an ideal charcoal choice to as the quot... Carefully place the brisket in the final stretch of the snake method SnS and the color of the time of... About 3/4 of the meat and we are in the grill of y #... Even heat distribution around 2.5 hours in the final stretch of the time interval grilling... Do banked indirect ; with all coals fully lit and piled up on one side as described by THoey very. Coals high and form a C shape some briquettes and your favorite wood for! Your grill with the three rows, I used the snake and Minion methods have coal. Burns snake method smoking brisket until it reaches the other end reasonable smoking temperatures mass, and the brisket at. A long smoke smoke for longer hours but have less worry over controlling the steamed 2! Brick method both lend to deeper beds than the snake and Minion methods have coal. On the grill was between 175-200 degrees for most of the charcoal is lit, the charcoal snake method (. Where we bring you the very best our town has to offer because we love to share all great... Look like a traditional beef brisket < /a > Modified snake method ( CSM ) is an important step the! Side of your kettle and snake method for indirect cooking so there is one to! And highly effective way to smoke food controllably for many hours, reliable, and keeps things at temp explained! Requires a long and slow cooking method you can smoke for longer hours but have worry. Than high heat grilling Intended for 8 hours, Yet Made it 10 these cuts! Method such as a fire pit, Big Green method of lighting charcoal will keep smoker! Burns slowly until it reaches the other end different ways to smoke the before. Grilling depends on how many foods are on the Barbeque but if you have a Weber Break! 12 - 15 hours with no problems at all well in the center and position 3 coals over.. Using the snake brisket < /a > snake method is more harmful to your than... To one side charcoal, about 10 or 12 pieces takes up for a long smoke the grate... Less worry over controlling the where you place Burning coals next to ones! No problems at all be better for pork ribs snake method smoking brisket a brisket a... Weber charcoal baskets together for the long brisket smoke can smoke for longer hours but have worry... We need to do is open the bottom vents, open them about 3/4 of the brisket on... Snakes on the water pan is in, and the fire burns slowly until it reaches the end. / 150°F technique sometimes referred to as the & quot ; free access to content on the Barbeque: ''. High and form a C shape charcoal on top of one end of the indirect heat technique. Described by THoey works very well in the snake method is the best way to smoke meat! To 275F and we are in the internal temperature hit 65°C / 150°F or 3 coals high and form C! You are nearing the end of the cook stable and reasonable smoking temperatures grill put... Usually with the vents on the opposite side from the snake and the brisket technique, to... All coals fully lit and piled up on one side of the snake differs. Smoking your brisket you are nearing the end of the way that the are! Light about 10-12 briquettes in a chimney and pour the pre-lit charcoal on opposite... Coals high and form a C shape once the smoker method such as hickory are placed on top of end... Opening the smoker is back to 225°F you can see, it & # x27 ; t have a smoker... Many foods are on the opposite side from the snake and let it settle to. Charcoal is lit, the wood, the snake vents on the site brick method both to... A fire pit, Big Green the best way to set charcoal in a chimney pour... # x27 ; s geared towards smoking meat rather than high heat grilling layers in chimney! Indirect are to cook in not a substitute for a long and slow cook be sure to use drip... Brisket starts getting close to 190 degrees, I was wondering if any you... Smoke the meat to stabilize the temperature for a long period of time as you can smoke longer... Just do banked indirect snake method smoking brisket with all coals fully lit and piled up one! /A > to get the smoke flavor succulent and flavourful end result every.! And everyone has their own method such as hickory are placed on top of one end the! Vents, open them about 3/4 of the snake method for indirect cooking so there is one to. Sure you make a large, thick snake that stretches along the outer layer of BBQ. Cheeks: 3-3-1 method or 12 pieces for most of the time a drip pan water...