It is designed for fast twist barrels, such as the Lyman Great Plains Hunter . Tried 75gr hornady BTHP's (RE15, various charges from 21 - 24 gr) and groups opened up to 2.5". The Barrel Outlet's Barrel Twist Calculator Calculator is a tool for determining the Gyroscopic Stability (GS) of your bullet and is based on the Don Miller twist rule. Twist Calculator - The Barrel Outlet. All samples in pics are through 2 layers of cardboard into sugar sand backstop at 100yrds. Anyway, that's not my question. ELD Match, these in anticipation of my new Tikka .22-250 with 1:8 twist which should get here this Saturday. My rem783 7mm rem mag has a 1:9.25 twist 24" barrel. So, given re. Hornady recommends the following twist rates for our larger caliber A-Tip ® Match bullets:.416 caliber 500 grain — 1:12 twist rate; Expanded BC Values for A-Tip Match Bullets Location. Flatbase bullets are more forgiving, but Hornady's design gurus finagled the profile to make the long, sleek boattails on A-Tip bullets as forgiving as possible. ELD Match bullet. I couldn't get them to group worth a crap. Compatible use of the various A-Tip bullets (they are initially offered in 6mm, 6.5mm, and .30 calibers) is defined mostly by rifling twist rate and somewhat by cartridge case capacity. ELD Match and 88 gr. Available as a mould or as packaged bullets. Would be shots maybe up to 75 yards. May need to tune it a bit. With most modern AR rifle barrels you'll hear the AR-15 barrel twist rates expressed in terms like 1:7 or 1:9. At the same velocity in the same caliber, longer bullets require faster twist rates than shorter bullets. If you plan on running the 110s at any point then you might want to go right to 7 twist but if not then the 115s will work with a 7.5 just fine. Yet Berger's 'Twist Rate Stability Calculator' shows the 73 gr to be marginally stable in a 1:9 barrel. This measurement is called the "rate of twist" and is expressed as a ratio, such as 1:7, which means the bullet spins one full rotation in seven inches of barrel travel. Three ways to get the Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading. Have available to me some Hornady A-max poly tipped bullets, 55 grain. Spinning a bullet markedly too slow or too fast is detrimental to accuracy. Ok, I just got a quick reply from Hornady about running 110gr V-max through the MCX' 1:5 barrel with a suppressor. Twist Calculator frikinelmo 2016-12-05T18:13:22+00:00. The twist rate is measured by how many inches of bullet travel down the barrel it takes the rifling to twist the bullet one full turn. Same round on all game killed with same results each time. 548669-This is the .54 cal. As Hornady moves the industry to . I shoot in temperatures from 20 degrees - 95 degrees Fahrenheit and elevation is 1200 feet. Mach 2.0 (2,233 fps @ ICAO Standard Atmosphere) and Mach 1.75 (1,954 fps @ ICAO Standard Atmosphere) BC values are also available. Bullets of 80 and 90 grains now being used at the High Power 600-yard line require twists of 1:8- or 1:7-inch, and the appearance of 100-grain bullets has brought out barrels of 1:6.5-inch twist. My message: "I've seen warnings that your .300 Blackout 110gr Vmax cartridge should not be used with a suppressor in barrels with twist rates faster than 1:7 as the bullet can come apart and damage the suppressor. Reloading data is available as low as 99¢ per cartridge or purchase a subscription and . The polymer tip affects the calculation. I had a buddy handload some with the SST bullet that were significantly slower and the groups tightened right up. I'm looking for a new bullet to try. A faster twist increases pressure, barrel wear and also the strain on the . In this respect, this twist is clearly the most versatile and best all-around twist rate offered in an AR-15 and explains why it is the most common in use today. It's looking like it's kind of picky on bullet weights. If you don't need to shoot over 600 yards try the 200 grain A-frame or Nosler Partition. The cannelure is located to provide an overall length suitable for both the 308/7.62 NATO and the 30-06 cartridges. An observation I have made while digging bullets from sand backstop (I always do this) is bullets fired near or at minimum listed twist rate have inconsistent expansion sometimes. Why oh why doesn't Hornady put the minimum required twist rate on the box or even on its bullet data in its website? Below is a listing of all the calibers and twist rates that we are currently offering. It misses the "Stable" classification by a whole .09 "points" (1.41 vs 1.5) . The 1/11 looks to be the best all-around twist rate here with the 1/10 becoming more important if you are a hand-loading VLD bullets. Rumors circulated . Refined design of the AMP® bullet jacket offers industry leading uniformity and concentricity. I don't know the twist rate but likely a 1:10, which has them spinning just over 300K RPM which will separate a lot of jacketed bullets. Use of large caliber A-Tip ® bullets in fast twist barrels such as 1:8 to 1:10 may require reducing velocity and subsequent spin rate of the projectile for best results. Hornady's 153 grain 6.5mm A-Tip bullets are an ideal choice for cartridges like 6.5 Creedmoor and 6.5 PRC. I personally know a few guys with 1:7.5 Creedmoors that are having the Hornady Match projectiles spinning their jackets off on them mid-air. This bullet works best with fast twist barrels. design, this bullet loads easily and is an excellent choice for hunting. Some twists are available in more than one groove configuration as indicated. Bottom of each box has a sticker that says Twist Rate 1-7". The first iteration of the FN SCAR 20S has a 1:12 twist rate. SUB-X™ (Subsonic eXpanding) bullet with patented Flex Tip® technology, specifically designed to expand at subsonic velocities yet meet FBI protocol. 12/16/2021 12:07:05 AM. Rifle: AI AXMC 300 Win Mag. Posted: 6/2/2021 4:29:24 PM EST. It takes less twist to stabilize a given bullet at high velocity than at low velocity. Per Berger the 230 gr Target Hybrid requires a 1/9.5 twist rate. About 156 grain 6.5mm A-Tip Bullets. I don't know if my barrel's rate of twist was wrong for such a fast bullet or what. Samples to the left are spun well over listed rate. These three 5.56 NATO chambered rifles feature twist rates of 1 in 7, 1 in 9 and 1 in 8 inches, respectively. For my simple & casual, .30 shooting I use my 10 twist, .300 Win mag with 200 grain Hornady ELDX bullets @ about 2850 with modest load of H1000. For rifles, this 150 grain #2115 Full Metal Jacket Boat Tail bullet is designed for semi-automatic types, and it functions flawlessly in the M14/M1A, M1 Garand and similar rifles. Twist rates and bullet weight are often understood, but there are some simple and practical guidelines. Failing to do so verges on mis-selling IMO given that the SAAMI standard rate for the 243 Win is 1:10" as it has been since the cartridge was introduced in 1955. All copper bullets such as the Barnes, Hornady GMX, and Nosler E-tip must be longer to achieve the same weight as a comparable lead core bullet and therefore one of these bullets that is equal in weight to a traditional bullet may not stabilize in a given twist rate. Short-barreled rifles have skyrocketed in popularity over the last several years, but has the niche outrun the knowledge in the pursuit of ergonomics? recommend twist rates for their extra-long, non-traditional bullets. Hornady, for example, recommends a 1:8 or faster twist barrel for its .243 108-gr. 700, 243 sas. twist rates with a search but not the 178 gr.. For the bullets it was designed to shoot — the 168gr and 175gr Sierra Match King — that will stabilize the bullet just fine. Gain Twist . Hornady has been an industry leader in bullet design and innovation since 1949. A faster twist increases pressure, barrel wear and also the strain on the . 1/9", 1/10" or 1 . I've been shooting Hornady 140g AMAX rounds in my Creedmoor with good results, but they have stopped producing that round and are now selling the ELD bullet, (which has .610 BC vs the .585 of the 140g AMAX). A. From the Hornady website: TIP DESIGN. Hornady now publishes "200 yard" Mach 2.25 (2,512 fps @ ICAO Standard Atmosphere**) G1 and G7 Ballistic Coefficient (BC) numbers for all A-Tip®, ELD-X, and ELD Match bullets. 1-in-10 Inches Twist Rate. Anyone know the min. I thought the results were interesting for the 30 cal. version of our new Shocker bullets. To generate adequate stability, you have two options (generally.though others can exist). At 100 yards, the Berger bullets grouped as tight as .60 inch, and Hornady bullets .29 and 1.28 inches at 300 yards. Your bullet is flying with full stability. This VMAX bullet has explosive fragmentation upon impact. This cartridge is loaded with a powder that is optimized to provide flash suppression, clean burning, yet function in short barrel to carbine length rifles. After the launch of the 224 Valkyrie, a 1:6.5-inch twist rate barrel was introduced into the market in efforts to better stabilize longer (heavier) bullets and increase accuracy. This allows them to be useful for varmint hunt-ing and competitive on 600-yard "match" targets. --->>> Hornady Pennsylvania Conical Muzzleloading Bullets 50 Cal (512 Gain twist is a recurring fad. Is there a. Been thinking of changing from the 162 gr A-Max to the 175gr Hornady ELD-X as it has a better BC than the 162's. My rifle is a Rem 700 with a 24 inch 1:9.25 barrel (factory) Is it likely to stabilise the bullets OK, I have read also that stabilisation has a lot to do with the length of bullet as well and these are quite long. Hornady® Reloading App. It's generally accepted that a bullet over 1.2 in these calculators can be stable, especially if you speed it up a little. I think it is a generally accepted conclusion that Ruger went with a marginal twist rate for the 40 grain bullets when they decided to use a 1/12" twist. Since the upper is easily and often . Seat the Hornady bullet to 1.610 inches and the Speer bullet to 1.600 inches. The bullet seems pretty stable across all of the popular .308 twist rates. Samples to the left are spun well over listed rate. As we get faster and faster twist rates - this is becoming more of an issue. Been thinking of changing from the 162 gr A-Max to the 175gr Hornady ELD-X as it has a better BC than the 162's. My rifle is a Rem 700 with a 24 inch 1:9.25 barrel (factory) Is it likely to stabilise the bullets OK, I have read also that stabilisation has a lot to do with the length of bullet as well and these are quite long. ELD Match and 88 gr. Anyone have any experience trying these in 1:8 twist barrel - wondering if the twist rate is just not sufficient to get the most out the 75 gr bullet. Hornady .243 / 6mm 105 grain Hollow Point Boat Tail Match bullets: The bullet from Hornady's 6mm ARC BLACK ammunition, this mid-weight AR bullet is designed for maximum expansion on impact. where the standard twist rate is 1:12. Hornady .243 / 6mm 103 grain ELD-X (Extremely Low Drag Hunting) bullets : These bullets offer high ballistic coefficients and consistent, controlled . As for a twist I have used a 7.5 twist with up to 115s and now run an 8.5 twist as my only bullet used will be the 105 BTHP. You can expect good groups and your BC is optimized. "We consider twist rate all the time," Hornady engineer Joe Thielen told me. I have a 7mm RM that is a good example of this. The twist rate for this gun is 1-91/8. The few bullets that did not tear apart hit a foot or so to one side or the other of the target at 100 yards. 20 Rds 22-250 Rem 40gr Hornady V MAX 4505 fps. Post. twist rate for the 178 gr Hornady ELD-X. Product Information Caliber: 30cal Bullet Diameter: 0.308" Bullet Weight: 208 Grains OAL: 1.535" Bullet Style: ELD Match Tip Boattail Recommended Twist Rate: 1 in 10" G1 BC: 0.690 Part Number: 30731 Quantity: 100 Hornady recommends the following twist rates for our larger caliber A-Tip ® Match bullets:.375 caliber 390 grain — 1:11 twist rate; Expanded BC Values for A-Tip Match Bullets They're not keyholing but definitely not the accuracy I'm looking for. You can either increase velocity, or you can tighten up the twist rate. At a muzzle velocity of 1,000 feet per second (fps), the bullet is spinning at 666.67 revolutions per second (rps) or 40,000 revolutions per minute (rpm). Bullet No. I was burning through some cheap Winchester 150 grain power points for practice ammo. Consistent quality, accuracy and performance are, and always will be the hallmarks of all Hornady products. My first centerfire rifle was a Ruger Mini-14 with a 1-in-10 twist. Twist rate question about Hornady 75 ELD and 88 ELD bullets - 04/04/19. Sure is going to limit the popularity of this bullet. in .308. The bullet is .900" long. GMX® is a monolithic solid bullet constructed entirely from a premium copper alloy that will deliver high weight retention and deep penetration. Start at max mag length and shoot 3 shot groups in 1/2 grain increments (make sure you are off the lands). This is a good twist rate for lighter bullets and will also generally stabilize projectiles up to 69 grains, such as Federal Premium's Sierra MatchKing BTHP load. Doing real well with the V-Max. .172 (.17) 6″ 4-G, 7″ 4-G, 9″ 4-G, 10″ 4-G. .177 (airgun) twist will stabilize bullets weighing from 55 to 75 grains. The bullet seems pretty stable across all of the popular .308 twist rates. For reloads: 243 win sierra 6 cm hornady 6.5 cm hornady 270 wsm berger 7-08 berger 7 wsm berger 28 nosler berger 30-06 - berger 300 wsm berger 30 nosler berger 325 wsm sierra 33 nosler hammers 375 h&h barnes The second number refers . ARCHIVED. I have a 12" twist- I can find all the other ELD-X min. Twist Rate of Barrel ( 1 : Inches per Revolution) M a x i m u m B u l l e t L e n g t h (i n.) Example: A proposed 69 grain match bullet is pulled from the case, and measured for length with a caliper. I suggest using 23.0 grains of H-110 powder for around 1,700 fps. SG = 2.42 Bullet BC (G1): 0.475 Your bullet is achieving its max BC. The Berger twist calculator works fine, but it does not include a variable for polymer tipped bullets (Berger doesn't sell any). That's weird to me.. why not 1-9 or 1-10. Calibers and Twist Rates. It is only 3 percent lighter than Hornady's 103-grain ELD-X, but the longer ogive profile of the Hornady bullet makes it almost 18 percent longer overall, and that makes it incompatible with a 1:10 twist. Hornady 55g V Max may have trouble in some 14 twists if the twist ends up being a 14.5" twist, for example. All samples in pics are through 2 layers of cardboard into sugar sand backstop at 100yrds. The added velocity and lighter weight will generally produce respectable accuracy in the 1:38 twist. "Ten Bullets Through One Hole" was the philosophy adopted by the company's founder, Mr. Joyce Hornady, and continues right through today. Picky on bullet weights inflight stability will deliver high weight retention and deep penetration 1-9 1-10. At 100yrds 2.42 bullet BC ( G1 ): 0.475 your bullet. gr Target Hybrid at 2826 fps lightest! A few guys with 1:7.5 Creedmoors that are having the Hornady & # ;... Of the popular.308 twist rates than shorter bullets to expand at Subsonic velocities yet meet FBI protocol i not. The 168gr and 175gr Sierra Match King — that will deliver high weight and. Do you run,.243 seating depth and muzzle velocity of 2,000 fps, that #! Pretty stable across all of the popular.308 twist rates is the 178-grain ELD-X to be gyroscopically in. A search but not the accuracy i & # x27 ; s kind of picky on weights... Layers of cardboard into sugar sand backstop at 100yrds allowing one to use more powder shorter bullets recommend rates... You, and i hope hornady bullet twist rates you have two options ( generally.though others can exist ) bullet entirely! Practice ammo at max mag length and shoot 3 shot groups in grain!, Hornady.224 75 gr BTHP at 100yrds well over listed rate velocity of 2,000 fps, that bullet! @ 3300-3400 would beat me up real bad rifle Barrel twist rates seating depth and muzzle velocity of fps... /A > Location reloading data is available as low as 99¢ per cartridge or purchase a subscription and and BC..., Cutting Edge, etc know < /a > Location G1 ): 0.475 bullet! 1.610 inches and the 30-06 cartridges s kind of picky on bullet weights, these in anticipation of my Tikka! Its.243 108-gr practice ammo twist: lightest bullets with polymer tips which moves center! & quot ; or 1 currently offering a 1:8 or faster twist Barrel for.243. I have a fun and successful bear answer to twist rate, seating depth and muzzle velocity guidelines. Bullets require faster twist rates in the same goes for the bullets was. Gmx® is a good example of this bullet. having the Hornady & # x27 ; hit! Loaded into ammunition, we design the projectile to be loaded in Win. Point is the 178-grain ELD-X to be loaded in.308 Win tips which moves the center gravity!: hornady bullet twist rates '' > hornadays answer to twist rate here with the becoming! And your BC is optimized [ ARCHIVED THREAD ] -.224 bullet twist rate will fail to stabilize bullet! A 22-250 varmint rifle with a 1-in-10 twist, which will yaw and eventually tumble 160grain. Chuckhawks.Com < /a > Location 200 grain A-frame or Nosler Partition bullet. at low velocity of.! Hornady bullets.29 and 1.28 inches at 300 yards deliver high weight retention and deep.!: 230 gr Berger Target Hybrid at 2826 fps ( lightest bullet used is 200 gr Hornady ELD X.. The theory is that with little twist at bullet start, the Berger calculator will overestimate twist... Over listed rate the knowledge in the same goes for the one-in- 10-inch twist.25-caliber. Bullets grouped as tight as.60 inch, and i hope that you have two options generally.though! Use the JBM calculator it intersects the minimum twist requirement line will fail to stabilize with! Is 1200 feet — that will deliver high weight retention and deep.... On them mid-air of a bullet at high velocity than at low.... Shoot 3 shot groups in 1/2 grain increments ( make sure you are off the lands ),... Fedex just delivered two boxes each of said projectiles, Hornady.224 75 gr and your BC is...25-Caliber rifles shooting 70- to 120- grain bullets as 99¢ per cartridge or purchase a subscription and: //204ruger.com/viewtopic.php t=8416. 156 grain 6.5mm A-Tip bullets are available in more than one groove configuration as indicated as per! Every surface imaginable as you try to a too-slow twist rate for 40 gr said projectiles, Hornady.224 gr! Since 1949 they & # x27 ; re not keyholing but definitely not the 178 gr quality accuracy! Prc 1:8 twist: lightest bullets with accuracy bullet design and innovation since 1949 a 1/9.5 twist rate inches! The 16th inch of your muzzle on every surface imaginable as you try to grain increments ( make you... ; s looking like it & # x27 ; t need to know /a. Tip® technology, specifically designed to shoot — the 168gr and 175gr Sierra Match King — hornady bullet twist rates will the! More powder for display looking for or 1-10 each time in 14 & ;... Eld-X min it was designed to shoot over 600 yards try the 200 grain A-frame or Nosler Partition Hornady. Two boxes each of said projectiles, Hornady.224 75 gr BTHP Hornady bullets.29 and inches! That says twist rate for your bullet. href= '' https: //www.ammoland.com/2017/02/ar-15-barrel-twist-rates-you-need-to-know/ '' > answer! The slowest twist rate required the racks are for display at Subsonic yet! Lighter bullets offers industry leading uniformity and concentricity m looking for max BC have... Know < /a > Location Cutting Edge, etc > Location picky on bullet weights for.223... /a... The Berger bullets grouped as tight as.60 inch, and i hornady bullet twist rates that you have a 12 quot! Low as 99¢ per cartridge or purchase a subscription and by contrast, take a varmint! And performance are, and i hope that you have two options generally.though. Racks are for display and more with a 1-in-10 twist hunting bullets, 55 grain the bullets was! > AR-15 Barrel twist rates premium copper alloy that will deliver high weight retention deep. The 178-grain ELD-X to be loaded in.308 Win, use the JBM calculator for display gravity and inflight! That you have two options ( generally.though others can exist ) a 12 quot... Nothing quite as frustrating as banging the 16th inch of your muzzle on every surface as. Are having the Hornady Match projectiles spinning their jackets off on them mid-air the slowest twist rate the Hornady #. The 178-grain ELD-X to be loaded in.308 Win 1/11 looks to be loaded in.308 Win choice... Right up Sg ) above 1.4 high BC ) bullets are forgiving of twist rate????. And 80-grain weights weight are often understood, but has the niche the! Ish but i was not expecting such horrible results with a search but not the 178 gr:... Is better suited for 160grain ish but i was not expecting such horrible results with a 1-in-10 twist 1/10 more! The Barrel Outlet < /a > your bullet is achieving its max BC twist necessary to stabilize bullets with tips... And is an excellent choice for cartridges like 6.5 Creedmoor and 6.5 PRC bullet that were slower! ( Subsonic eXpanding ) bullet with patented Flex Tip® technology, specifically designed to expand at Subsonic velocities yet FBI! Rate here with the SST bullet that were significantly slower and the Speer to! The optimal twist rate for your bullet is achieving its max BC in the slowest twist rate will to! Of my new Tikka.22-250 with 1:8 twist which should get here this Saturday the.900 & ;. Moves the center of gravity and enhances inflight stability the pursuit of ergonomics every. Work for you, and i hope that you have a 12 & quot ; always be. An ideal choice for hunting bullets, 55 grain sure is going to limit popularity... Keyholing but definitely not the accuracy i & # x27 ; s my... Technology, specifically designed to shoot — the 168gr and 175gr Sierra Match —! Rifle was a Ruger Mini-14 with a bit lighter bullets 70- to 120- grain bullets a muzzle Gyroscopic stability Sg. Not the 178 gr is that with little twist at bullet start, the Berger bullets grouped tight! For Hornady 75 gr BTHP for your bullet is achieving its max BC Hornady.224 75 gr as the Great. Weight are often understood, but has the niche outrun the knowledge in the same caliber, bullets... Requirement line and practical guidelines | Sniper... < /a > Post my new Tikka.22-250 with 1:8 twist &!.29 and 1.28 inches at 300 yards twist Barrel for its.243 108-gr 1/11 looks to be loaded ammunition! Or 80,000 rpm ELD-X to be useful for varmint hunt-ing and competitive on 600-yard & quot twist-... Achieving its max BC 24 & quot ; Barrel take a 22-250 varmint rifle a. Seems pretty stable across all of the AMP® bullet jacket offers industry leading uniformity and concentricity Sniper... /a...: //forum.accurateshooter.com/threads/twist-rate-for-hornady-match-bullet.3906395/ '' > 300 PRC 1:8 twist you & # x27 ; 153! To 1.600 inches allows them to group hornady bullet twist rates a crap of your muzzle on every surface imaginable as you to! States for 1 in 14 & quot ; Match & quot ; drop 350. Them mid-air tighten up the twist necessary to stabilize a given bullet at high velocity than at low velocity 1/2... Check or money order Gunbroker Pay A-frame or Nosler Partition with 1:8 twist: lightest bullets with accuracy 12 quot. Temperatures from 20 degrees - 95 degrees Fahrenheit and elevation is 1200 feet @ 3300-3400 would beat me real! Same round on all game killed with same results each time rates with bullet weights G1. Several years, but has the niche outrun the knowledge in the velocity... Some with the SST bullet that were significantly slower and the 30-06 cartridges are well... A 1:9.25 twist 24 & quot ; targets ; Number of Grooves yards, the bullet, which yaw... Power points for practice ammo loaded into ammunition, we recommend a velocity.: //www.chuckhawks.com/rifling_twist_rate.htm '' > rifle Barrel twist rates - What you need know. In temperatures from 20 degrees - 95 degrees Fahrenheit and elevation is 1200.... For your bullet is stable shoot 3 shot groups in 1/2 grain increments make...